Saturday 31 August 2013

Making Veneers

Set to and made my first lot of real veneers today.

Started off with a piece of pine and practiced various aspects. It took very little time to get a couple of good lengths cut.  I am very pleased with the performance of my 65+ year old bandsaw.  The new blade and other bling is performing well

I am slicing of about 7mm at a time and then cleaning up in the thicknesser diwn to about 4.5mm. This is producing copious amounts of saw dust. 

I tried to make the slices a bit thinner but found that if I let the cut wander even slightly then I couldn't clean it up in the thicknesser

I am getting better at cutting on the bandsaw so I might try again for thinner slices as I would then likely be able to get 8 veneers from a 50mm thickness.

So I ended up with 14 x 3m x 4.5mm veneers, or about 42 metres worth.  Haven't figured out how much I need in total yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment